The Board of Education named Westlake High School after the community of Westlake, which includes the Hampshire, Lancaster and Dorchester neighborhoods and is located in St. Charles. Westlake's Planning and Design Review Board chose to name the community Westlake because it is the western most point of the 9,100 acres that make up St. Charles. Westlake includes homes, apartments and a series of lakes. Building in the community began in 1984. Today it is home to more than 11,000 people.
Source: Craig Renner, Community Relations Manager for American Community Projects Trust.
The mission of Westlake High School is to prepare students to learn and be successful in a supportive environment that encourages rigorous standards, celebrates cultural diversities, promotes teamwork, and molds students into leaders and contributing citizens in a technology rich and evolving society.
The vision of Westlake High School is that each student is endowed with the fundamental
competence and intelligence needed to commence achieving their individual goals in life.
Learners Today, Leaders Tomorrow
- We believe in the individual value of each student.
- We believe in a safe, structured environment that is aware of the social, emotional, and
physical wellness of each student.
- We believe education is the shared responsibility of the student, family, school, and
- We believe that lifelong learning is essential to the production of contributing citizens in
a global society.
- We believe we provide educators who genuinely care for the students they teach and
students who are proud to say they attend Westlake High School.
- We believe in a curriculum that is rigorous, relevant, challenging, integrative, and
- We believe that it is our professional responsibility to provide students with teachers and
resources that implement the most current educational initiatives.